Sunday, December 27, 2009

More and More, Bigger and Bigger

I'm finally up to 4 servos, and 5 snake segments. Motion/programming-wise, I'm still just up to rolling on the ground, but I've only put a few hours into that, so there will definitely be more cool gaits to come. (think climbing stairs, climbing trees, etc) As of now, there really is no program that makes it slither or roll, rather, I have two joysticks (2 axises each) where each axis on the 2 joysticks controls a particular servo in the snake. This lets me get to fool around with it much more easily than writing code, debugging, etc. Once I get the hang of controlling the articulated motion with the joysticks (which is MUCH harder than it sounds) I'll be able to write a program that will do it much more efficiently and effectively.

I've fully moved myself off of the two 6V lantern batteries in parallel, and onto a salvaged computer power supply. Since the servo controller runs on 4.8-7 volts, I'm using the 5V rail (red wire) from the power supply, which provides up to 20 amps. Each servo draws about an amp for normal usage, more when stalled.

Again, I can't stress enough that none of this would have been possible without the help of Robotics and Beyond. Anyone or anyone who has kids who have any interest of robotics, engineering, electrical, or just building wicked cool stuff, should absolutely check out their summer program. As a past student and current mentor, I can say that it was a great way to introduce me to the field of engineering.

Again, here's some more updated pictures:







Here it is after pulling itself up vertically on just 2 servo motors. You'd never expect it, but these servos have about 21 kg (300ish oz) of torque. These guys are real finger crunchers.







In a rolling motion, notice the short (but existent) sin curve on both the X and Y axis.







Heres my end piece with power switches, plug, and even a switch guard for the main power toggle switch. See the cracks on the plexiglass in the bottom left? Moral of the story: don't run debugging programs on a concrete floor...




Here's the two joysticks that are currently being used to control everything.



And finally, my 'new' power supply. God bless the guy who thought of grounding the green rail to ground with a paper clip to turn on the PSU, you have made my life so much easier.


That's it for now, hopefully next post I'll be able to put up some videos of it in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment